Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Postpartum Depression: Mith or Reality??

I was one of those people that used to say that a new mom was just being selfish, don't know how to care a newborn, or is just not fit to be a mother at all because of the way they treat their kids. Hearing news of mothers drowning, suffocating and other things their kids weeks after having a baby made think that that person was just crazy way before having a baby. But now that I had a baby makes me think, is postpartum depression a real thing? I tackled the issue right away 'cause I don't want to be the next crazy lady on the news because of something I wasn't supposed to do. Started researching on internet and found that is more complicated than what i though. And right then I called my OBGYN and arranged an appointment to speak about it just to make sure it was not happening to me, all because I cried one night that my baby was awake crying because of gas not passing and I didn't know what to do anymore to make her feel better. Thanks God baby blues or postpartum depression is not happening to me, crying in the very beginning is normal, you are adjusting you life to fit you baby in it and it can be overwhelming, but is very easy to jump from being fine to being depressed. Crying once in a while is normal, does not make you depress but it release tension, so do it if you need to. And if you are overwhelm with the duties don't hesitate to look for help from family members and friends.   Any time you feel different, with weird toughs run to the doctor 'cause talking about it it will make you feel a whole better and if you need help they will be able to give it to you before is late. In this link you will find very helpful information about baby blues or postpartum depression and how identify if you are suffering from it: http://www.babybluesconnection.org/bbc/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Myths_and_Facts_about_perinatal_mood_disorders.pdf

Going to a doctor and talk about postpartum depression DOES NOT make you weak, it makes you smart: you are taking care of you and you child. Is a disease and is treatable and temporary with professional help, educate yourself about it and speak up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment